VGN RY Motor Car 109

VGN RY Motor Car 109
Sitting in front of replica 2/3 scale VGN motor car shed in 2009

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Numbers








With restoration in the final phase, my motor car is pictured with the last number it carried before the VGN/N&W merger, number 109. However to recognize its history I have placed the car's original number on the back, lower cross beam, number 905.

Another picture shows the various N&W numbers the car wore after the VGN merger with the N&W in 1959. When sanding the front the first day I owned the car, the Virginian number appeared on the left, VGN 109! Also, one picture shows the N&W number on a back, lower brace; N&W N 109. As I worked to find the car's original number, nothing new appeared on the front as the old paint was removed. My last chance was on that lower, back brace, I hoped. As I sanded away the N&W on the left side, nothing appeared. Virginian must not have had any lettering there. However on the right side as I sanded N 109, I thought I was seeing 1005. But 1005 was in the series of Virginian's Sheffield model 40-b motor cars. I sanded even more lightly and I found that what I thought was a 1, actually was the right side of the letter N. The last two digits, 0 and 5 were clear, but the digit to the left of the 0 was not. More careful sanding showed faintly that the digit was a 9! My car was originally 905! The layers of paint were: red primer was the first layer; orange; yellow; then N&W paint - lighter yellow for two more layers. I have added an illustration to show this sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment