VGN RY Motor Car 109

VGN RY Motor Car 109
Sitting in front of replica 2/3 scale VGN motor car shed in 2009

Friday, May 27, 2011

Removing Old Paint May 27 2011



My plan is to clean the large surface area pieces in place and to remove smaller parts to clean individually. In one picture, I am using my media blaster to remove paint from the aluminum top. Prior to this stage, I used an electric sander, sanded by hand and worked with chemical paint removers. I want to balance doing a very good and thorough job without hurting myself. I realize the paint may be lead based and I am wearing a protective breathing mask and working in an open, outdoor space.

I am concluding the following based on the layers of paint and primer I am finding on the aluminum parts. I believe that when the aluminum pieces were added in 1953, they were primed with red oxide and the car was painted orange. From a former VGN signalman, I have learned that about 1958, VGN painted these cars with a shade of yellow darker than the other layer applied later. After the VGN-N&W merger of December 1,1959, N&W painted the car in Roanoke on April 30, 1964 and from what I have found, a primer was not used. The entire car, including all of the aluminum pieces were painted yellow, including the bare metal inside the front and inside the roof. That explains why the yellow paint had peeled so badly in those places.

No comments:

Post a Comment